Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Fire and Fury,|
by Michael Wolff (2018)
| Trump Revealed,|
by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher (2016)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2016)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
by Cory Booker (2016)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
Media coverage of HI political races in The Honolulu Civil Beat
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from The Honolulu Civil Beat (number of quotes indicated):
- Andria Tupola (9) Hawaii Republican candidate for governor of Hawaii
- Bob McDermott (4) Hawaii Republican candidate for governor
- Brian Schatz (5) Democratic Jr Senator Hawaii
- Charles Djou (1) Republican Governor challenger U.S. Rep Hawaii-1
- Colleen Hanabusa (1) Hawaii Democratic candidate for Hawaii Governor
- Cynthia Thielen (1) Republican Challenger (2006) Hawaii
- David Ige (9) Hawaii Democratic Governor
- Duke Aiona (15) Hawaii Republican Challenger
- Ed Case (1) Democratic challenger (2006); U.S. Rep. Hawaii
- Eddie Pirkowski (4) Republican candidate for Hawaii U.S. Senator Hawaii
- John Carroll (4) Hawaii Republican candidate for governor of Hawaii
- Josh Green (4) Hawaii Democratic challenger for Governor
- Kai Kahele (1) Hawaii Democratic candidate for Governor
- Kirk Caldwell (2) Hawaii Democratic Challenger
- Marissa Kerns (4) Hawaii Republican challenger for Governor
- Mazie Hirono (1) Democratic Challenger Hawaii
- Neil Abercrombie (6) Hawaii Democratic Governor
- Vicky Cayetano (3) Hawaii Democratic Gubernatorial Challenger
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Articles in The Honolulu Civil Beat:
- Honolulu Civil Beat, "Hawaii Governor: Lt. Gov. Josh Green Wins Big In Democratic Primary," by Kevin Dayton, August 13, 2022
- Honolulu Civil Beat, "Better Access To Public Records Among Proposals From GOP Candidates For Governor," by Blaze Lovell, August 11, 2022
- Honolulu Civil Beat, "How GOP Candidates For Governor Plan To Diversify Hawaii's Economy," by Blaze Lovell, August 1, 2022
- Honolulu Civil Beat, "Does US Sen. Brian Schatz Have 'A Job For Life?'," by Nick Grube, July 27, 2022
- Honolulu Civil Beat, "Candidate Q&A: U.S. Senate--Brian Schatz," June 22, 2022
- Honolulu Civil Beat, "Candidate Q&A: Governor -- Duke Aiona," June 21, 2022
- On 2022_HI_Gov: "Here's How Hawaii's Top 2022 Political Races Are Shaking Out," by Chad Blair, August 19, 2021
- Honolulu Civil Beat, "Honolulu Hale Lit Up In Rainbow Colors," by Chad Blair, June 24, 2019
- (On 2022_HI_Senate): "Candidate Q&A: Lieutenant Governor--Marissa Kerns," October 1, 2018
- (On Andria Tupola): Honolulu Civil Beat on 2018 Hawaii gubernatorial race, 8/9/2018
- (On Colleen Hanabusa): Honolulu Civil Beat on 2018 Hawaii gubernatorial race, 8/7/2018
- (On Andria Tupola): Honolulu Civil Beat on 2018 Hawaii gubernatorial race, 7/9/2018 & 8/2/2018
- (On Eddie Pirkowski): Honolulu Civil Beat on 2018 Hawaii Senate race, 7/1/2018
- (On Charles Djou): Honolulu Civil Beat on impeachment of Trump, 3/19/2018
- (On John Carroll): Honolulu Civil Beat on 2016 Hawaii Senate race, 7/29/2016
- (On Neil Abercrombie): Honolulu Civil Beat Q&A on 2014 Hawaii gubernatorial race, 7/23/2014
- (On David Ige): Honolulu Civil Beat Q&A on 2014 Hawaii gubernatorial race, 7/11/2014
- (On Ed Case): Honolulu Civil Beat on 2012 Hawaii Senate debate, 5/10/2012
- (On Mazie Hirono): Honolulu Civil Beat on 2012 Hawaii Senate debate, 5/10/2012
- (On Duke Aiona): Honolulu Civil Beat Q&A on 2014 Hawaii gubernatorial race, 10/15/2010
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Duke Aiona: Would leave decisions up to the Legislature and to voters.
Vicky Cayetano: Pro-choice; and supports medically assisted death.
Budget & Economy|
Duke Aiona: Attract investment by opening a spaceport in Hawai'i.
Brian Schatz: Got earmark to fix highway threatened by climate change.
Josh Green: Housing must be considered a human right.
Andria Tupola: Save government money with efficiency; cut waste.
Bob McDermott: In Hawaii, we are all minorities to one degree or another.
Kirk Caldwell: We celebrate diversity and inclusion no matter who we love.
John Carroll: Inclusive legislation to banish racism and intolerance.
Bob McDermott: 2013: Sued to stop gay marriage going into effect in Hawaii.
David Ige: Vetoed taxing of short term rental accommodations.
Kai Kahele: Don't allow taxing of short term rental accommodations.
Bob McDermott: Allow taxing of short term rental accommodations.
Cynthia Thielen: Allow taxing of short term rental accommodations.
Eddie Pirkowski: Zero taxes would attract corporate headquarters.
Mazie Hirono: US Chamber of Commerce does not reflect business community.
Kirk Caldwell: Refuses to answer questions about indicted ex-city officials.
Andria Tupola: Support police who risk their lives for us.
Duke Aiona: Better schools help Native Hawaiians stay out of prison.
Duke Aiona: Shift control from statewide district to local community.
Neil Abercrombie: Improving public education is one of my top priorities.
David Ige: Improving public education is one of my top priorities.
Energy & Oil|
Duke Aiona: Maximize our many renewable energy resources.
Marissa Kerns: Support no-taxpayers-government-bailout for renewable energy.
Andria Tupola: For renewable energy if affordable and environmentally safe.
Eddie Pirkowski: Sustainable green development; reduce our carbon footprint.
Neil Abercrombie: Liquefied natural gas is a "bridge fuel" to renewables.
David Ige: Tie rooftop solar into the electric grid.
Bob McDermott: Shut down Navy fuel site that has contaminated local water.
Andria Tupola: Protect environment by partnering with local orgs.
Andria Tupola: If we take care of the land it will take care of our needs.
Andria Tupola: Tension between development & environment is about balance.
Neil Abercrombie: Food labeling good, but not at expense of small businesses.
David Ige: Right to know what is in our food, via federal labeling.
David Ige: Protect Hawaii's fragile resources for future generations.
John Carroll: America should be a leader in international commerce.
Duke Aiona: Has no evidence the 2020 election was stolen.
Duke Aiona: Wants to make more public records accessible online.
Josh Green: State legislature term limits would make a lot of sense.
Brian Schatz: I support ending or reforming the filibuster.
Duke Aiona: Reducing amount of regulations sends message to businesses.
Duke Aiona: Stem abuses with term limits for state legislature.
Josh Green: Supports health department over Navy water contamination.
Marissa Kerns: Every bill must be exposed to Hawaiian taxpayers.
Andria Tupola: Video testimony to legislature; no constitutional convention.
John Carroll: Supports citizen's initiative process & multiparty democracy.
Ed Case: Only 8% of my campaign money comes from PACs.
Brian Schatz: Ban assault weapons, for universal background checks.
Duke Aiona: COVID: not against vaccinations, but opposes mandates.
Josh Green: Has been a leading voice in the Covid-19 fight.
Vicky Cayetano: Calls for vaccine mandate for restaurants, bars, gyms.
David Ige: Support unfunded liabilities for State Union Health Benefits.
Brian Schatz: Military only viable here if it has community support.
Colleen Hanabusa: Shaped National Defense Authorization Act military roadmap.
Eddie Pirkowski: Cutting edge defensive and offensive security.
Charles Djou: Leaving GOP because Trump makes it hostile to immigrants.
Eddie Pirkowski: Responsible spending for jobs and stable growth.
Neil Abercrombie: Put money back into state Employer-Union Trust Fund.
Neil Abercrombie: 2-year agreement with Legislature to raise the minimum wage.
Principles & Values|
Duke Aiona: Hopes to restore system by rebuilding trust, earning respect.
Vicky Cayetano: No problem too great that we can't overcome together.
Duke Aiona: My Catholic faith is part of my decision making.
Brian Schatz: Make sure everyone pays into the system equally.
Marissa Kerns: I am opposing any new taxes for the next four years.
David Ige: Pioneered "paperless Legislature" & government transparency.
War & Peace|
John Carroll: Use US air power to enforce peace, but not ground troops.
Welfare & Poverty|
Duke Aiona: Creating affordable housing immediately is a top priority.
Marissa Kerns: Cut taxes & help businesses first to reduce homelessness.
Andria Tupola: Clearinghouse for decentralized solutions on homelessness.
Andria Tupola: Increase affordable housing by tax cuts & fewer regulations.
Neil Abercrombie: Keep sidewalks open & clear; homeless into housing for good.
David Ige: Build affordable homes and Transit Oriented Development.
David Ige: Increasing funds to Rental Housing Trust Fund for homeless.
Duke Aiona: The chronic homeless choose to not follow the rules.
The above quotations are from Media coverage of HI political races in The Honolulu Civil Beat.