Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Fire and Fury,|
by Michael Wolff (2018)
| Trump Revealed,|
by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher (2016)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2016)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
by Cory Booker (2016)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
2022 Rhode Island Gubernatorial race: debates and news coverage
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2022 RI Governor's race (number of quotes indicated):
- Ashley Kalus (10)
- Dan McKee (22) Rhode Island Democratic candidate for governor
- Gina Raimondo (7) Rhode Island Secretay of Commerce
- Luis-Daniel Munoz (5) Rhode Island Democratic Gubernatorial Challenger
- Matt Brown (11) Rhode Island Democratic challenger for Rhode Island Governor
- Nellie Gorbea (12) Rhode Island Democratic Challenger
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
2022 Rhode Island Gubernatorial debates and race coverage:
- Boston Globe, "Even before votes are counted, Democratic ad attacks R.I. GOP gubernatorial candidate Kalus," by Edward Fitzpatrick and Brian Amaral, September 13, 2022
- WJAR-TV (channel 10), "Democratic candidates for governor face off in final televised debate before primary," by Brian Crandall, September 6, 2022, (Link)
- GoLocal24 (New England), "Political Profile: Helena Foulkes, Candidate for Governor," August 22, 2022, (Link)
- The Providence Journal, "Saving the environment: RI governor candidates share their strategies," by Patrick Anderson, August 3, 2022
- The Providence Journal, "McKee hits, GOP candidate Kalus deflects punch on her most admired pol, Ron DeSantis," by Katherine Gregg, July 7, 2022
- GoLocalProv, "Thousands Protest Supreme Court Decision at State House, Call for Passage of EACA in RI," June 25, 2022
- Johnston Sunrise, "Gubernatorial candidates discuss poverty-related issues," by Emma Bartlett, May 31, 2022
- The Providence Journal, "Will RI gun-control laws change following the Texas school massacre?," by Katherine Gregg, May 25, 2022
- WPRI-TV (channel 12) , "Foulkes urges state budget amendment to allow abortion funding," by Ted Nesi, May 12, 2022, (Link)
- WPRI, "Mediation to begin in contract dispute between RI, gov candidate Ashley Kalus," by Eli Sherman, May 2, 2022
- Boston Globe, "Ashley Kalus steps into the ring in the R.I. governor's race," by Edward Fitzpatrick, April 7, 2022
- Boston Globe, "Gorbea weighs in on repealing the voter ID law, taxing the rich," by Edward Fitzpatrick, March 3, 2022
- Waste 360 blog, "Community Solar Farm Sited On Remediated EPA Landfill Opens in Rhode Island," Oct 26, 2021
- WPRI CBS-TV-12, "McKee signs bill ensuring in-state tuition for RI students, regardless of immigration status," by Melanie DaSilva, Oct 18, 2021
- GoLocalProv.com, "Matt Brown Running for Governor Again: Former RI Secretary of State Announces Mendes as Running Mate," September 22, 2021
- UpriseRI.com, "Matt Brown and Senator Mendes announce run for Governor and Lt Governor," by Steve Ahlquist, September 22, 2021
- UPRISE RI, "BLM RI PAC rallies against LEOBoR in the wake of police videos showing violent arrests," by Steve Ahlquist, August 21, 2021
- WUN What's Up Newport blog, "Governor McKee signs five bills into law that support women's health and equity," by Ryan Belmore, August 4, 2021
- Go Local Prov blog, "McKee's Veto of Airbnb Legislation Sparks Response From Shekarchi and Ruggerio," July 08, 2021
- The Public's Radio blog, "R.I. set to change parole guidelines for young people convicted of a crime," by Sofie Rudin, July 6, 2021
- Filter magazine, "Why Rhode Island Cannabis Activists Want Worker-Owned Co-Ops," by Alexander Lekhtman, June 29, 2021
- Boston Globe, "Should Rhode Island Equity Council meetings be secret?," by Edward Fitzpatrick, May 28, 2021
- Newport Buzz, "Rhode Island Governor Dan Mckee Cancels Fundraiser Co-Hosted by Trump Supporter," by Christian Winthrop, May 9, 2021
- Providence Journal, "Gubernatorial Candidate Munoz: A Call For Greater Accountability," by Pat Ford, April 23, 2021
- Providence Journal, "Timing seems to bode well for McKee's reelection chances," by Patrick Anderson, April 19, 2021
- Brown Daily Herald, "RI to hold vaccination weekends for residents of color," by Brendan Gardner, April 9, 2021
- The Providence Journal, "McKee proposes $11.2-billion budget with no call for broad tax hikes," by Katherine Gregg, March 11, 2021
- Boston Globe, "10 things you didn't know about R.I. Governor Dan McKee," by Edward Fitzpatrick, March 3, 2021
- The Narragansett Independent, "Dan McKee ready to hit the ground running as governor," by Joseph B. Nadeau, Jan 21, 2021
- The Providence Journal, "From forgotten man to head of the state: Who is Dan McKee?," by Patrick Anderson, January 8, 2021
- WPRI , "Who is Dan McKee? Meet Rhode Island's next governor." by Eli Sherman, Jan 7, 2021
- Associated Press, "Raimondo aims to close Veterans Home deficit and boost funds," January 17, 2020
- Uprise RI, "Governor Raimondo encourages undocumented residents to seek testing and healthcare during pandemic," by Steve Ahlquist, April 7, 2020
- Republican Governor's Association, "Gov. Gina Raimondo, The Grinch Who Raises Taxes," December 20, 2019
- Providence Journal, "Brush with history: Raimondo is in Israel as Netanyahu is indicted," by Katherine Gregg, Nov 21, 2019
- CNN.com, "Rhode Island governor signs abortion protection bill," by Caroline Kelly, June 20, 2019
- Providence Journal, "Raimondo makes public stance in support of Pride," by Patrick Anderson, Jun 3, 2019
- UPRISE RI, "Dan McKee overstates his support for marriage equality in campaign ad, say advocates," August 22, 2018
- NBC News, "The last bastion of anti-abortion Democrats--and the move to oust them," by Alex Seitz-Wald, June 25, 2018
- Providence Journal, "Governor signs bill giving Dreamers right to driver's licenses in R.I.," by Mark Reynolds, Jun 19, 2018
- Seattle Times, "Gov. Raimondo signs bills to support the state's veterans," November 8, 2017
- DOC, Time magazine, 'You Remind Me of What Really Matters', Gina Raimondo Letters, May 4, 2016
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Ashley Kalus: Described herself as pro-life; opposed abortion rights law.
Nellie Gorbea: Access to abortion is a fundamental right.
Gina Raimondo: Signed bill codifying abortion protections.
Dan McKee: Identifies as supportive of abortion rights.
Budget & Economy|
Nellie Gorbea: Simplify statewide process to encourage homebuilding.
Matt Brown: Implement rent control, build 10,000 green affordable homes.
Dan McKee: I understand that budgets reflect priorities and policy.
Dan McKee: Strong supporter and advocate for local small business.
Ashley Kalus: Worked to ensure that communities have access to power.
Dan McKee: Overstated support for marriage equality, but for it at end.
Gina Raimondo: Signed Pride Month proclamation, defying local bishop.
Matt Brown: End cash bail, ensure police accountability.
Luis-Daniel Munoz: Every time a person is abused it is no longer a deterrent.
Dan McKee: Proposed parole after 10 years if under 22 at time of crime.
Luis-Daniel Munoz: Supports national accreditation standards for police.
Matt Brown: Legalize cannabis, invest in drug overdose prevention.
Dan McKee: Proposed regulating a legal marijuana market.
Nellie Gorbea: Pass "Right to A Quality Education" constitutional amendment.
Ashley Kalus: Pay our teachers more, promote school choice, fund pre-K.
Matt Brown: Smaller class sizes, at least $60,000 for teacher salary.
Dan McKee: Set up after-school programs to make up time lost to COVID.
Dan McKee: School reform by partnering without being demanding.
Dan McKee: Make two years free community college program permanent.
Dan McKee: COVID and schools: locally driven, state supported.
Dan McKee: As mayor created the first mayoral charter school.
Dan McKee: Charter schools support criticized by public sector unions.
Energy & Oil|
Ashley Kalus: Support industries such as offshore wind and aquaculture.
Nellie Gorbea: Incentivize energy efficiency in new home construction.
Nellie Gorbea: Prioritize goals to achieve net-zero emissions by 2050.
Dan McKee: Community solar panel program lets people subscribe.
Matt Brown: Green New Deal for All, net zero emissions by 2040.
Matt Brown: Make RI the first state run on 100% clean, renewable energy.
Gina Raimondo: In Israel for economic development mission.
Ashley Kalus: Attract business by lowering taxes, cutting red tape.
Nellie Gorbea: Policymakers should reflect diversity of the state.
Nellie Gorbea: Supports repealing the state's voter ID law.
Matt Brown: Reform Make election day a holiday, repeat voter ID law.
Dan McKee: Vetoed state short-term rental regulations as burdensome.
Dan McKee: RI Equity Council meetings should not be open to the public.
Luis-Daniel Munoz: RI Equity Council meetings should be open to the public.
Nellie Gorbea: Need the courage to pass common sense gun reform.
Dan McKee: Received an "F" from the NRA's Political Victory Fund.
Nellie Gorbea: Support mental health care for students, teachers, staff.
Ashley Kalus: COVID testing contract leads to dispute with the state.
Matt Brown: For Medicare for All, protect reproductive freedom.
Matt Brown: Vaccine requirement to enter public spaces, mask mandate.
Luis-Daniel Munoz: COVID: Must do more to vaccinate blacks & Latinos.
Gina Raimondo: Close deficit, boost budget of RI Veterans Home.
Matt Brown: Provide drivers' licenses to undocumented Rhode Islanders.
Dan McKee: In-state college tuition regardless of immigration status.
Gina Raimondo: COVID: Get tested; no immigration officials at testing sites.
Gina Raimondo: Driver's licenses for DREAMers, pathway for citizenship.
Matt Brown: Pass a $19 per hour minimum wage ($39,520 annually).
Dan McKee: Enacted pay equity regardless of gender or ethnicity.
Dan McKee: Lieutenant governor has no power; job criticized.
Principles & Values|
Ashley Kalus: As a former Golden Gloves boxer, I am a fighter.
Ashley Kalus: Names Ron DeSantis as her most admired elected official.
Nellie Gorbea: Government doesn't run like a business, nor should it.
Dan McKee: Trump's Big Lie is a threat to our democracy.
Dan McKee: People have pride in their communities & staying in hometown.
Ashley Kalus: Will fight for Rhode Islanders by lowering their tax burden.
Ashley Kalus: Raising RI's marginal tax rate would hurt competitiveness.
Nellie Gorbea: Would increase marginal tax rate for the top 1%.
Dan McKee: Increase real estate transfer tax on homes over $700,000.
Gina Raimondo: OpEd: Raimondo wants tax increases.
Welfare & Poverty|
Nellie Gorbea: Fully fund school lunch and breakfast programs.
Luis-Daniel Munoz: Supports free public clinics; increase affordable housing.
The above quotations are from 2022 Rhode Island Gubernatorial race: debates and news coverage.
2018-22 Governors' book excerpts:
- American Crisis, by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D,NY)
- Can't Is Not an Option, by Gov. Nikki Haley (R,SC)
- Crossroads, by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D,NY)
- Dialogues, by Governor Jerry Brown (D,CA)
- From Power to Purpose, by Gov. Sam Brownback (R,KS)
- Governor`s Travels, by Gov. Angus King (I,ME)
- Leadership and Crisis, by Gov. Bobby Jindal (R,LA)
- The Opposite of Woe, by Gov. John Hickenlooper (D,CO)
- A Reason to Believe, by Gov. Deval Patrick (D,MA)
- Romney: An Inside Look, about Gov. Mitt Romney (R,MA)
- Scorpions for Breakfast, by Gov. Jan Brewer (R,AZ)
- Stand For Something, by Gov. John Kasich (R,OH)
- Unintimidated, by Governor Scott Walker (R,WI)
- What A Party!, by Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D,VA)
- 2022 Senatorial debates: