Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Fire and Fury,|
by Michael Wolff (2018)
| Trump Revealed,|
by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher (2016)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2016)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
by Cory Booker (2016)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
2018 Iowa Gubernatorial race: debates and news coverage
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2018 IA Governor's race (number of quotes indicated):
- Andy McGuire (19) Iowa Democratic candidate for Governor IA
- Cathy Glasson (17) Iowa Democratic candidate for governor
- Fred Hubbell (16) Iowa Democratic candidate for governor of Iowa
- Jake Porter (15) Iowa Libertarian candidate for governor
- Kim Reynolds (12) Iowa Republican
- Marco Battaglia (20) Iowa Libertarian candidate for governor
- Nate Boulton (12) Iowa Democratic candidate for Iowa Gov
- Republican Party (1)
- Rich Leopold (6) Iowa Democratic candidate for Governor
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Iowa 2018 Gubernatorial debates and race coverage:
- CampusElect.org 2018 Iowa Governor Guide (Hubbell & Reynolds), 11/1/2018
- Des Moines Register, "In 90 seconds, Reynolds and Hubbell answered 7 questions," by Kevin Hardy, Oct. 10, 2018
- White House press release, "WTAS: Support for President Trump's Successful Trade Negotiations with Mexico and Canada," Oct. 2, 2018
- Cedar Rapids Gazette, "Hubbell: More help needed for trade-harmed farmers," 8/11/2018
- Des Moines Register, "Reynolds says same-sex marriage issue settled," by William Petroski, June 12, 2018
- KCRG-TV9, "Democratic Gubernatorial Candidates debate on immigration, health care," by Jordee Kalk, May 13, 2018
- Iowa Public Radio, "Glasson: Nurse Turned Gubernatorial Candidate," by Clay Masters & Emily Woodbury, April 20, 2018
- MyPlainview.com, "Apple gets $208M in tax breaks to build Iowa data center," by David Pitt, August 28, 2017
- Huffington Post, "Glasson: Populist Iowan Democrat Exploring A Run For Governor," by Taylor Gipple, August 5, 2017
- WHO-TV, "Reynolds Has No Worries About Guns in the State Capitol," by Dan Hendrickson, June 15, 2017
- Quad-City Times, "Boulton campaigns for governor," by Ed Tibbetts May 5, 2017
- The Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier, "Abortion-funding restriction," by Rod Boshart Feb 2, 2017
- Siouxland's News KTIV, article on Governor Branstad's budget cuts, Jan. 12, 2017
- Marshalltown Times Republican, "Leopold reaches out to rural voters," Jan 8, 2017
- Carroll's Paper, "Reynolds says abortion 'murder,' open to idea of civil unions for gays," by Douglas Burns, Nov. 2010
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Jake Porter: Don't prohibit abortion but don't fund it.
Marco Battaglia: Prefer fewer abortion, but not state prohibition.
Cathy Glasson: Pro-choice and will restore Planned Parenthood funding.
Nate Boulton: Anti-abortion law hurts women's healthcare access.
Andy McGuire: Restore Planned Parenthood funding from the dark ages.
Kim Reynolds: Abortion is equivalent to murder, but different penalty.
Budget & Economy|
Fred Hubbell: Many budget benefits go to companies that don't need them.
Jake Porter: Market-led recovery better than stimulus.
Marco Battaglia: Market-led recovery better than stimulus.
Cathy Glasson: Budget should concentrate on citizens needs and the future.
Kim Reynolds: Defended $100 million budget cuts from previous fiscal year.
Andy McGuire: No more handouts for big corporations.
Andy McGuire: Strategize for economic development in rural Iowa.
Fred Hubbell: Proud of Iowa's equal protection for same-sex couples.
Kim Reynolds: Same-sex marriage issue is now settled law.
Republican Party: Define marriage as one natural man and one natural woman.
Jake Porter: Strongly supports same-sex marriage.
Marco Battaglia: Strongly supports same-sex marriage.
Andy McGuire: Conversion therapy is torture, not treatment.
Nate Boulton: Defended LGBTQ nonprofit Iowa Safe Schools.
Kim Reynolds: Voters should decide gay marriage, not the courts.
Fred Hubbell: Stop giving unproductive tax credits to big corporations.
Kim Reynolds: Tax breaks bring Apple to Iowa.
Nate Boulton: Tax credits & corporate giveaways have hurt economy.
Andy McGuire: State loans for new or expanding small town businesses.
Fred Hubbell: Life sentence is sufficient instead of death penalty.
Kim Reynolds: Opposes reinstating the death penalty.
Jake Porter: Stop prosecuting addiction issues and victimless crimes.
Marco Battaglia: End mandatory minimum sentences for nonviolent crimes.
Cathy Glasson: One-size-fits-all punishment are not fitting the crimes.
Nate Boulton: Public safety & police can't be done on the cheap.
Fred Hubbell: Wait-and-see on decriminalizing marijuana.
Jake Porter: Marijuana isn't a gateway drug.
Marco Battaglia: Marijuana isn't a gateway drug.
Rich Leopold: Services for people still suffering with addiction.
Andy McGuire: Fund programs for mental health.
Fred Hubbell: School systems and teachers know best what they need.
Jake Porter: Vouchers let parents choose the school of their choice.
Marco Battaglia: Vouchers are wrong for paying for private schooling.
Cathy Glasson: Wants public education to be affordable and high quality.
Nate Boulton: State must fund public schools, not voucher schemes.
Nate Boulton: Supports teacher's unions to attract best teachers.
Andy McGuire: Restore cuts: put students ahead of lobbyists.
Andy McGuire: Restore $21M in cuts to higher education.
Energy & Oil|
Fred Hubbell: Grow the economy using biomass, sun, and wind resources.
Jake Porter: Don't prioritize green energy.
Marco Battaglia: Freer market will allow energy that is greener.
Cathy Glasson: Move forward with new green energy sources.
Nate Boulton: 50% renewable energy by 2025.
Rich Leopold: Supports strong wind industry in Iowa.
Andy McGuire: Trump full of hot air on wind power.
Fred Hubbell: Protect water, air and topsoil resources.
Jake Porter: Fight EPA regulatory over-reach.
Marco Battaglia: Fight EPA regulatory over-reach.
Cathy Glasson: Force corporate polluters to clean up their mess.
Andy McGuire: Put teeth into our water quality regulations.
Nate Boulton: Funding water trust fund improves safety & tourism.
Rich Leopold: Let's Go Outside: stewardship of Iowa's land, air, and water.
Rich Leopold: Listen to rural voters while promoting clean water.
Families & Children|
Cathy Glasson: Proud of Iowa's marriage equality but work still to be done.
Cathy Glasson: #1 job of governor is to raise family's standard of living.
Andy McGuire: Time for state Family/Medical Leave Act.
Marco Battaglia: Exceptional people all over the planet, not just America.
Kim Reynolds: Supports USMCA trade agreement to replace NAFTA.
Fred Hubbell: Farmers are on the edge financially because of trade war.
Kim Reynolds: Nobody wins in a trade war.
Jake Porter: Support free trade.
Marco Battaglia: Support free trade & freer trade.
Andy McGuire: Unfair trade deals shut down factories & ship jobs overseas.
Fred Hubbell: Supports term limits for Iowa governor.
Kim Reynolds: Opposes term limits for Iowa governor.
Jake Porter: Make voter registration easier.
Marco Battaglia: Make election days national holidays.
Cathy Glasson: Roll back voter ID law, start making voting easier for all.
Andy McGuire: Repeal the voter ID law; lengthen the absentee voting.
Jake Porter: Absolute right to gun ownership.
Marco Battaglia: Absolute right to gun ownership.
Cathy Glasson: Gun violence is a public health crisis and an epidemic.
Fred Hubbell: Start the conversation between gun control & public safety.
Kim Reynolds: Concealed carry at statehouse okay.
Fred Hubbell: Stop Medicaid privatization; it failed the most vulnerable.
Jake Porter: Oppose ObamaCare.
Marco Battaglia: Oppose ObamaCare; move to a freer market in medicine.
Cathy Glasson: Medicare For All: fundamental right to health care.
Nate Boulton: Focus on vulnerable people rather than corporate profits.
Rich Leopold: Our handling of mental illness & medical coverage is abysmal.
Andy McGuire: Healthcare is a right for all Iowans.
Andy McGuire: Reduce costs through preventive care, lower drug prices.
Fred Hubbell: Respects and honors the military's courage and sacrifices.
Marco Battaglia: Rein in the military-industrial complex.
Kim Reynolds: Secure our border, but no family separations.
Andy McGuire: We need comprehensive federal immigration policy.
Cathy Glasson: We need path to citizenship and to keep families together.
Fred Hubbell: No use of local enforcement during federal immigration raids.
Marco Battaglia: Pathway to citizenship for illegal aliens.
Nate Boulton: No use of local enforcement during federal immigration raids.
Cathy Glasson: Welcomes immigrants and wants them to feel safe and secure.
Kim Reynolds: End DACA, but Congress should act.
Fred Hubbell: Believes in unions and equitable collective bargaining.
Jake Porter: Oppose affirmative action.
Marco Battaglia: Oppose affirmative action.
Cathy Glasson: High priority to making union access available to all.
Cathy Glasson: Fight to raise minimum wage to $15 per hour.
Nate Boulton: $15 minimum wage indexed to inflation.
Andy McGuire: Dedicate resources to apprenticeships & job training.
Andy McGuire: Raise the minimum wage to $15/hr.
Andy McGuire: Restoring collective bargaining for Iowa workers.
Principles & Values|
Jake Porter: Freely practice beliefs so long as not hurting others.
Marco Battaglia: Freely practice beliefs so long as not hurting others.
Rich Leopold: I'm a person of faith; I volunteer with faith-based groups.
Marco Battaglia: Individual private accounts to replace Social Security.
Fred Hubbell: Equitable tax system, instead of one based on who you know.
Jake Porter: Phase out the statewide sales tax.
Marco Battaglia: Phase out the income tax.
Cathy Glasson: End corporate welfare tax practice; make them pay fair share.
Cathy Glasson: Create jobs with infrastructure investment.
Nate Boulton: Invest in rural infrastructure, including for tourism.
War & Peace|
Marco Battaglia: Avoid foreign entanglements.
The above quotations are from 2018 Iowa Gubernatorial race: debates and news coverage.
2017-18 Governors' book excerpts:
- Power Lines, by Gubernatorial candidate Jason Carter (D,GA)
- Dialogues, by Governor Jerry Brown (D,CA)
- A Return to Values:, by Gubernatorial candidate Bob Beauprez (R,CO)
- The Party's Over, by Gubernatorial candidate Charlie Crist (D,FL)
- A State of Opportunity, by Gubernatorial candidate Eliot Cutler (I,ME)
- Scorpions for Breakfast, by Gov. Jan Brewer (R,AZ)
- In Mortal Danger, by 2014 gubernatorial candidate Tom Tancredo (R,CO)
- From Power to Purpose, by Gov. Sam Brownback (R,KS)
- Leadership and Crisis, by Gov. Bobby Jindal (R,LA)
- A Reason to Believe, by Gov. Deval Patrick (D,MA)
- Governor`s Travels, by Gov. Angus King (I,ME)
- Crossroads, by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D,NY)
- Stand For Something, by Gov. John Kasich (R,OH)
- Against the Tide, by Gov. Linc Chafee (I,RI)
- Fed Up!, by Gov. Rick Perry (R,TX)
- What A Party!, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Terry McAuliffe (D,VA)
- Last Line of Defense, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli (R,VA)